Monday, January 30, 2012

Final AZ Trip Reflection!



This picture was taken at the top of the Bright Angel Trail after we had all regrouped a bit. This was last Friday. Some of us had spent some time sitting next to the log fire that we found inside the lodge.

While we were "camped out" in front of the fire, a representative of the lodge stopped to talk with us. After we told him of our hike from Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Canyon, he asked us if we really understood how amazing our accomplishment was. He said that of the 5 million people who visit the Grand Canyon each year, 1% of them hike down a trail a little way. One percent of the one percent actually hike ALL the way down (and therefore back!). Wow, we really had accomplished something!

And, so can you!

Just a little over half way (5 miles) up the Bright Angel Trail on Friday, I hiked by a couple. I had seen them down at Phantom Ranch the day before but I didn't speak to them. I did engage them in conversation on the trail on Friday. I asked them how many times they had hiked in and out of the Canyon. They said once. I proceeded to ask them why they were hiking there. They said that they were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on the hike! So, of course, I had to ask them how old they were. They were 72 years old! Her brother in law and sister were some distance ahead of them. He was 76!

My point? This is an incredible, unbelievable experience! Sometime I hope you will take advantage of this opportunity, regardless your "stage" in life. It is one of those bucket trip experiences!!

Till next January...

KEF

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment